As a mother of both a boy and a girl, this question is occupying my mind very much.
Setting an example is one thing, but there are few other actions need to take as they grow up.
We raise our girls to fight stereotypes and pursue their dreams, but we don’t do the same for our boys.
- Let him cry.
- Give him role models.
- Let him be himself.
- Teach him to take care of himself.
- Teach him to take care of others.
- Share the work.
- Encourage friendships with girls.
- Teach ‘no means no’.
- Speak up when people are intolerant.
- Never use ‘girl’ as an insult.
- Read a lot, including about girls and women.
- Celebrate boyhood.